I love creating ways for my kids to think about what blessings are in our life and understand what gratitude means. Gratitude is a pretty abstract concept, especially for younger kids. This is an excellent activity to help them think about things they are thankful for while building up excitement for the Thanksgiving holiday. I hope you find this “I Am Thankful For” printable as a great way to create an attitude of gratitude in your home or classroom.
This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a small commission at no extra cost to you. See my full disclosure here.
Questions For Kids
Prior to doing an activity like this I find it really helpful to provide some prompting questions for kids to allow them to start thinking about gratitude.
Some of my favorite questions to ask are:
- What does it mean to be thankful?
- What are things in your life that you love?
- What does it look like to show gratitude to others?
- What made you laugh or smile today?
- How does it feel to do something nice for others?
Another fun way set the stage for this activity is by reading a book about thankfulness. One of my favorites is Bear Says Thanks.
- Printable “I am thankful” turkey, downloadable PDF link is at the bottom of the post
- Markers, colors or any other items you want to decorate the turkey
How To Use The I Am Thankful For Printable
You can use this a variety of ways, both at home and in the classroom setting. It is perfect for kids of all ages and a simple way to spark conversations about gratitude in your home or classroom.
- For young kids you can write in the answers they give you on the turkey feathers and allow them to decorate the turkey
- For older kids I would have them write in things they are thankful for in the feather spaces and then decorate
- There are 6 feathers so you could use these as a countdown to Thanksgiving, having kids fill in one feather the 6 days leading up to the Thanksgiving holiday
- On Thanksgiving Day use the printable as placemats for Thanksgiving dinner and have the whole family fill out their own turkey and share their answers
Don’t forget to hang up the child’s final product to serve as a great reminder of what they are thankful for throughout the month of November!
I Am Thankful For Free Printable PDF
Fill out the form below to receive your free I am Thankful Printable PDF. This PDF is for personal use in your home, we also would love for you to use this for classroom use as well. You will receive a digital file that will allow you to download the coloring worksheet and print it off. The file is a PDF file ready to print at 8×10 inches.If you are planning on having kids glue on feathers or other crafty items I would recommend printing this off on card stock. If you are just doing markers or colors you should be just fine printing it on regular paper.
Other Thanksgiving Activities
We love thinking of ways for families to spend quality time with each other. See the posts below for other fun Thanksgiving activities for the entire family!
If you are looking for more ways to build up an attitude of gratitude in your home or classroom here are some other great resources and ideas on helping kids express gratitude:
Gratitude Journal by Printables Fairy
Gratitude Jar Craft by Blissful Domestication
Thankful Letter by Artsy Momma