As you probably have picked up on from my other posts, I’m a sucker for fun holiday themed games. 🙂 There is just something about a little friendly competition between family members and it’s a great way to fill down time during holiday festivities. This free printable Christmas word scramble is an awesome activity to throw into your winter break or holiday party plans!
This post contains affiliate links, which means I will make a small commission at no extra cost to you. See my full disclosure here.
- Christmas word scramble printable sheet for each guest (digital download is at the bottom of this post)
- Christmas word scramble answer sheet (digital download is at the bottom of this post)
- Writing utensils for all involved
- A fun prize for the winner!
How To Play
One of the best parts of this game is that there is no wrong way to play. The ultimate goal is to unscramble the scrambled words on the sheet. There is an answer sheet included, make sure this is covered up until you are ready to compare answers! This activity is a great way to get into the holiday spirit and spend quality time with loved ones. Bonus- it is also an awesome educational activity for little ones and works on spelling skills! It’s a good brain exercise for adults too!
Here are some of my favorite ways to play:
- If there are younger kids who this may be too difficult for I recommend pairing them with an older child or adult. I would say that this scramble is a fun challenge for middle elementary students and older.
- Set a timer, the person to complete the list the fastest or have the most correct answers when the timer goes off wins!
- Pair people up in teams, or do a couples challenge- this always brings about a lot of laughter and friendly competition.
- Go word by word, the team that gets the word the fastest gets a point, the most points at the end win.
- Have your group sit in a circle and set a timer. Pass the list around the circle, stopping at each person. Once the person holding the list completes a word they can pass it to the person to their right (and so forth and so on). The person that it lands on when the timer dings is out.
- To make this a cooperative activity you can all work against a clock to see how many words you can fill out in a set period of time working together to complete the list.
Christmas Word Scramble Printables
Here is the Christmas word scramble printable download link. This link should take you to a PDF file that you can download and print off, it includes a digital file of the word scramble as well as the answer key. There are multiple printing options- you can print off with your home printer or at your local print shop. This PDF file is formatted for standard letter size paper. Feel free to use for personal or classroom use!